This is a great game to play with a group! and would make a perfect activity for Surprise bags!
I’ve played with with my daughter’s 5th grade class and also at a family gathering. For New Years Eve it’s a wonderful way to re-gift something you got for Christmas that wasn’t quite your style (tee he hee) or clean out the clutter and giveaway something you don’t need!
Let’s Make a DEAL!!
Just like the game show you have 3 “doors” of hidden prizes. Whether you supply the gifts or are doing it white elephant style fill each box with a prize without the “player” being able to see.
For the “doors” I took 3 shipping boxes and pushed the top flaps flat against each side so the top of the box was completely open. I covered them in wrapping paper and turned them on their sides of the top is now the back and I could easily “fill the boxes” with the prizes. Then I added the numbers.
To get a contestant I asked a trivia question – whoever shot their hand up first and had the right answer got to choose a box ( I have done regular trivia that was age appropriate and have also done holiday trivia).
Once the contestant chooses a box I give them 1 clue about the prize inside. They can then take the prize and sit down or switch and pick another box (note – I don’t give a clue for the 2nd box if they switch). If they want to switch they have to do a challenge!
Challenge: – these are FUN!!! I have a bowl or container of strips of paper with different challenges written on them. Here’s some ideas of what mine include:
1. Waddle like a duck around the room
2. Play basketball with an imaginary ball
3. Sing Happy Birthday to the person sitting next to you
4. Act like a gorilla for 10 seconds
5. Sing “I’m a little teapot” and do the actions
6. Sing the ABC’s baby style
7. Do the crab walk across the room
8. Pretend you are watching a scary movie and are really scared
9. do the chicken dance 2 times while the rest of the players sing the song for you
10. Pat your head and rub your stomach for 10 seconds
11. Moonwalk across the room
12. Pretend you are underwater for 10 seconds
Of course all these challenges are done in front of everyone else which gets the whole room roaring with laughter!!!
Once the challenge is complete you can hand them their prize. The contestant sits down and the next trivia question is asked. Continue until all the prizes are given out and each person has had a turn.
tomorrow – we’ll get crafty for New Years!