Hello Brassy Apple Readers!
When Megan asked me to join the Brassy Apple contributor team I was ecstatic! I have been a fan of her blog for over a year. I'm excited to share some of my refashions with you. Be sure to check out the rest of my stuff on my blog, While Camden Sleeps. Most of my posts are about refashions or hair coloring at home.
Today I'm going to share a little refashion that began at an estate sale. I'm not usually a fan of estate sales seeing as how, in general, someone literally has to die in order to have one. But this one caught my eye, and from the looks of it, the estate had belonged to an elderly couple who had passed away. I got this little gem at the sale for a quarter. After working with it, I believe it was homemade as it wasn't made with a serger, and had no tags. It was fun to reincarnate this old piece that someone else had already put some handiwork into. Somewhere in heaven, a cute, old little lady is looking down and smiling. At least I hope so...
Here's what I started and finished with.
The first thing I needed was a little inspiration. I showed my friend, Heidi, the dress and she suggested making a blouse. I went with that idea and began pinning blouses I like. Here's two that I used as my muses.
|Found on pinterest, store unknown|
Here's what I did during the operation, after washing it, of course.
|1. Took in the seams to reduce bagginess in the sides and sleeves. I am pointing to the new seam above.|
|2. Very neatly cut off the cuffs. Just kidding. I pretty much ripped them off.|
|3. To create the rolled sleeves, I rolled the sleeve up once, and then once more to hide the unfinished edge. I then sewed where the pink line indicates above. That seam is underneath the elbow where it is not very noticeable.|
|5. Finally, I created a pocket using a fragment from the original hem of the dress.|
Follow While Camden Sleep on Pinterest to see all her tutorials!